Thursday, January 6, 2011

Scrappy Blue Flowers DONE

My first finish for the UFO Challenge. There are a few things I want to mention about this little quilt. First, the whole quilt is from my stash. The backing fabric was gifted to me from my Grandmother this summer. She was cleaning out her hall closets and came across a bunch of fabric. This fabric still had the original tags stapled to it from Demas' Department Store which was located in downtown Lincoln. My Grandmother managed this store when I was little. Demas' was the only place in town where you could purchase clothing, fabric, notions, shoes and many other odds and ends. I spent many hours there with my Mom and Grandmother and brings back many wonderful memories of Pete and Ellie Demas.


The next thing I want to mention is the binding (again gifted to me from my Grandmother from Demas' Dept. Store). I tried a new technique in machine stitching the binding. I attached it to the back of the quilt and then top stitched it down on the front. I like this method for quilts that will be used or washed frequently. My only regret is that I should have used a matching thread color. Oh well....

4 comments:

JudyCinNC said...

You did an excellent job stitching down the binding. Good quilt.

Chris said...

Very cute quilt. Is that cheater fabric on the back or did you actually piece a backing???

Quilter Kathy said...

Congrats on the finish...made more wonderful with all of it's historical significance!

Heather said...

Lovely! And what a wonderful way for you to always remember your grandmother. Congratulations on a beautiful finish. :o)